Sweet Potato & Carrot Brownies
Baking with Fletch is always fun and messy. Usually, it looks like a hurricane exploded momentarily in our kitchen. But it usually results in something delicious. Usually. We do fail sometimes. I'll get to that in another post.
Today Fletcher wanted to make cookies. So we got out some ingredients, ready to make cookies. But then halfway through we decided to make brownies instead. Sometimes the batter just isn't right for cookies, and since we are always experimenting sometimes we just have to adapt. So adapt we did.
These brownies were a HUGE hit with Fletch and his sister Finley too.
- 1 large carrot (steamed)
- 1 large sweet potato (steamed)
- 1 cup chopped dried apples (or another dried fruit of your choice)
- 1/2 cup chickpea juice (or 2 eggs, or another egg replacer)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 vegan butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups garbonzo bean (chickpea) flour (Can use another gluten free flour of your choice instead of garbonza bean and tapioca - I mix the 2 because garbonzo bean flour on it's own can be a little overpowering - same with quinoa flour)
- 1 cup tapioca starch/flour *
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp organic cocoa
Steam 1 large carrot and 1 large sweet potato. While you are steamin' chop up some dried apple slices - you can totally use dried cranberries or raisins or whatever the heck you want though. Have fun with it people! Dump everything else in food processor. You know the drill, wet stuff first, add the dry stuff. Mix in your steamed carrot and sweet potato. Stir in your dried fruit. Bake at 375°F for about 35 minutes. Eat.*
*remove from oven before you eat, also wait for it to cool down a bit.